SGC is a group of experienced geophysicists specialising in mineral, gold, uranium, iron ore and diamond exploration, and to a lesser extent, groundwater and geotechnical investigations and non-seismic methods for hydrocarbon exploration. The company provides design, supervision, processing and interpretation services for all types of ground and airborne geophysical surveys as well as GIS and map making services.
Since its formation in 1985, SGC has worked for over one thousand Australian and overseas private sector companies and government agencies, including AusAID and the United Nations. The company with twenty three geophysicists is arguably the largest minerals exploration geophysics consultancy in the world and is highly regarded in the exploration community. Principally, it provides services both to junior companies without a staff geophysicist, and to major companies which require additional geophysical expertise and capability. The scope of projects undertaken is wide but broadly falls within the following categories:
- Airborne magnetic, radiometric, and electromagnetic surveys in the search for base metal, precious metal, uranium, iron ore and rare earth deposits..
- Detailed magnetic, gravity, electromagnetic, induced polarisation and other electrical surveys (surface and down hole) in the search for base and precious metals.
- Diamond exploration using airborne multispectral, magnetic, radiometric and electromagnetic surveys as an aid to locating diamonds associated with intrusive pipe-like bodies.
- Iron ore exploration using magnetic, gravity and electromagnetic surveys to identify and delineate deposits.
- Hydrocarbon exploration mainly using magnetic and gravity data combined with seismic and well information.
- Quality Control (airborne/ground surveys)
- Regional interpretation studies using aeromagnetic, radiometric, gravity and satellite data to determine structures and lithologies for base, precious metal, and diamond exploration and to outline new mineralisation districts.